Re: Fwd: RAID6 Array crash during reshape.....now will not re-assemble.

Have you tried pulling down the latest version of mdadm from Neil's
site with:

     git clone git://neil.brown.name/mdadm/ mdadm
     cd mdadm
     ./configure
     make

and seeing if that custom build does the trick for you?  I know he's
done some newer patches which might help in this case.

Another> I'd read that a couple of days back and while it's an interesting idea
Another> I don't believe it will address my specific issue of the array not
Another> allowing re-assembly (even with force and read only flags set) as
Another> mdadm reports the 'need backup file for reshape, sorry' error no
Another> matter what I've tried.

Another> Even trying the above flags with invalid-backup does not work so I
Another> need someone to have a eureka moment and say "....it's this....".

Another> I believe that mdadm 3.3 incorporated the recover during reshape
Another> functionality, however I've read elsewhere it only applies to
Another> expansion into a new drive...I was going RAID6 to RAID5 (even though
Another> it never really got started) and the backup file looks like 20mb of
Another> EOLs.

Another> So at he moment I'm pretty much stuck unless someone can tell me how
Another> to clear down the reshape flag, even in read only mode so I can copy
Another> the data off.

Another> On 3 March 2016 at 17:48, Sarah Newman <srn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 03/03/2016 06:07 AM, Another Sillyname wrote:
>>> Plenty of hits....but no clear fixes and as I said I'm not willing to
>>> 'try' things from google hits until someone with better insight can
>>> give me a view.
>>>
>>> Trying things is fine in many instances, but not with a 20+TB data set
>>> as I'm sure you can understand.
>>>

>> I have not tried this personally, but it may be of interest:
>> https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Recovering_a_failed_software_RAID#Making_the_harddisks_read-only_using_an_overlay_file I found this explanation
>> of the dmsetup commands to be more easy to follow: http://www.flaterco.com/kb/sandbox.html

Another> --
Another> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-raid" in
Another> the body of a message to majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Another> More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html