Re: Performance question, RAID5

On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 07:42:57AM +1100, NeilBrown wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 14:11:31 +0100 Keld Jørn Simonsen <keld@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > It's interesting what you say about the XOR calculations. I thought
> > > that it was only calculated on writes? The Atom (330) has HT, so Linux
> > > sees 4 logical CPUs.
> >
> > Yes you are right, it only calculates XOR on writes with RAID5.
> > But then I am puzzled what all these CPU cycles are used for.
> > Also many cycles are used on mirrored raid types. Why?
> > Maybe some is because of LVM? I have been puzzled for a long time why
> > ordinary RAID without LVM need to use so much CPU. Maybe a lot of data
> > sguffling between buffers? Neil?
>
> What is your evidence that RAID1 uses lots of CPU?

Much of this is raid10, but it should be the same:
http://home.comcast.net/~jpiszcz/20080329-raid/
http://home.comcast.net/~jpiszcz/raid/20080528/raid-levels.html

It seems like cpu usage is rather proportionate to the IO done.
And the CPU usage does get up to about 40 % for reading, and
45 % for writing - this is most likely a significant delay factor.
For slower CPUs like the Atom CPU this may be an even more significant
delay factor.

For RAID5 the situation is even worse, as expected.

best regards
keld