Re: php applications

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 02:48:23AM +0100, Michael wrote:

> This was about half of my point, writing these applications in PHP is
> difficult, it is a task to be overcome. PHP requires cajoling into being
> useful. Your solution to "use the Java extension" is peculiarly ironic -
> yes: Use Java!
>
> If the only language you know is PHP i'm sure it looks very capable, and
> i was, several years ago, in this position (wanting to write various
> desktop apps in it) the wise and experienced freenode gurus then told me
> to learn the right tools. Despite how it may look from the myopia of
> primarily PHP development, PHP isnt a desktop-capable language. It would
> take a great deal of time and effort to do in PHP what would take a
> handful of lines in python, due to the extensive library support.

Not. PHP is based very closely on C. Its syntax and native function
calls mirror C almost completely. Considering the breadth of
applications written for the desktop in C, I think your argument is
weak. Especially when you consider that, unlike C, we don't have to
predefine variables and PHP does its own memory management and
housecleaning, unlike C. Moreover, there are tons of add-on extensions
for PHP which allow it to do some very unusual things. Same is true for
C (but in C, they're "libraries").

I'm just playing devil's advocate here. Normally I would use Python or
Bash for anything shell, and some GUI apps. But I haven't heard a really
compelling reason yet for *not* using PHP.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster