Re: php applications

Michael wrote:
Paul M Foster wrote:
On Mon, Jun 08, 2009 at 09:30:18AM -0700, Kyle Terry wrote:

<snip>

I don't mean to be the thread spirit killer, but I think another language
would be better for this. Such as Python.

PHP desktop apps might be fun to hack around with, but I wouldn't use it for
a production application.

I've coded a bit in Python, and parts of it really annoy me. I much
prefer PHP, as it's more C-ish.

Why wouldn't you use PHP for production applications?

Paul

Why wouldnt you? Besides the design of PHP generally being completely against it? PHP is not designed to be run continuously in infinite-loop (while true) scenarios...

Citation?

it's threading support is poor and it's memory

What does threading support have to do with running something in an infinite loop? What if I don't need threads?

handing and library are geared almost exclusively towards web-programming.

I dunno, I've written amultitude of shell/cron scripts in PHP that leverage the codebase already written for the web application.

If you want to compile it, or use it in a .NET/Java context... fine (see phc, etc.). The language itself can handle it, but the standard implementation *shouldnt*.

Why?

In anycase other languages have much better support of desktop and network programming, entire libraries and communities have been developed around it. Preferably use Python/Java/etc. though C has its place.

As I've said before, ones place in the sun can't be identified if one never tries sitting in the sun. It's hard to grasp the proverbial brass ring if you never extend your reach.

Cheers,
Rob.
--
http://www.interjinn.com