Re: php applications

While the technology is pretty immature at the moment, due to its under-use
no doubt, saying that PHP is never the tool for a desktop application is
pretty inane.  While the primary developmental lifecycle is geared towards
web development (who's arguing that?), there's nothing really pervasive
preventing people from using it for desktop apps.  Given the recent focus
towards closing memory leaks internally and the control of the (new, iirc)
garbage collector, I wouldn't say it's a bad idea, resource speaking, to
write in PHP (certainly no worse than Java).  There's sound support, GTK
support, CUPS support, Windows COM / printing support, so the support for
the APIs is certainly there (and where it's not, there's ways around it,
like with the java extension).

Just because you have a hammer that's only been used for nailing particle
board doesn't mean it's not suited for hammering into plywood!   The only
issue I see with PHP is the relative difficulty of making "stand-alone"
applications that are bundled with a statically compiled PHP executable, but
that shouldn't be too hard to overcome, with a little bit of time and
creativity.