Re: php applications

Michael wrote:
This was about half of my point, writing these applications in PHP is difficult, it is a task to be overcome. PHP requires cajoling into being useful. Your solution to "use the Java extension" is peculiarly ironic - yes: Use Java!

If the only language you know is PHP i'm sure it looks very capable, and i was, several years ago, in this position (wanting to write various desktop apps in it) the wise and experienced freenode gurus then told me to learn the right tools. Despite how it may look from the myopia of primarily PHP development, PHP isnt a desktop-capable language. It would take a great deal of time and effort to do in PHP what would take a handful of lines in python, due to the extensive library support.

Many PHP programmers goes thru' the phase of wanting to write 'http servers', 'irc clients', etc. in PHP. It would be irresponsible to not point them in the direction of more capable languages, when they are in fact, greatly more capable.

I program in several languages, but I do enjoy the speed in which I can cobble together something functional in PHP with minimal effort. You underestimate the glue power of PHP. I don't need to program something like mplayer in PHP, it is sufficient that I can control it and expand upon it via PHP. PHP is quite competent at filling many of the roles formerly handled by Perl. Yes there are advantages to other languages, certainly other languages can be better choices for any particular application, but outright exclusion of PHP just to fulfill your fantasy of the right tool for the job is just silly.

Cheers,
Rob.
--
http://www.interjinn.com