Re: Re: php framework vs just php?

Frameworks not only are great for piecing together an application quickly
with user management, content filtering, access control, etc..., there is
another HUGE advantage to using a framework.

If the framework you are using has a thriving community behind it, the
framework will constantly get better, which means the software you write
will get better with little effort from yourself, just by running updates on
the core framework.  Frameworks exist to make it easier for developers to
solve common problems quickly.

Every developer may have their own way that they think is the best way to
solve a certain problem.   They'll cut and paste their custom component that
they wrote into all the applications that need to solve this same problem.
This works, but is this the best solution?

On the other hand, if the developer uses a framework with a community behind
it, there is probably a component in the framework that already solves that
common problem.  The developer can easily include that component to solve
the problem, and if the developer, after reviewing the code of the
component, sees that there is a security concern or performance concern with
this component, the developer can enhance the component.  The developer can
then submit this "patched" version of the component back to the framework
community for review and eventually get included into the core framework.

For example, lets say that the user access component of a framework recently
got a speed increase of 25% after the refactoring by some developer that
also uses this component in the framework.  The rest of the developers that
use this framework now benefit from this.  They can install this patch to
all the applications that use this component and reap the benefits of
another developers time to optimize the user access system.  The second
developer didn't have to write any code, just run an update.

When developers contribute back to a common set of tools, the tools get
better, more secure, more optimized and in the end you get a better
product.  You're also not coding in a vacuum, you get the opportunity to see
how other developers solve problems, and adapt the techniques you like to
your own.  You could potentially learn a lot, just by adopting a widely used
framework.  You may even realized that there are a lot of people out there
that a lot smarter than you when it comes to a certain part of your
application.  Frameworks are a great learning experience.

-Tom Friedhof