Re: Re: Posting Summary for Week Ending 18 January, 2008: php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Jan 19, 2008 8:15 PM, Andrés Robinet <agrobinet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2 - I don't have anything against my name and email being published in the stats (sure, I'd like support for the "é" character on my name :)). I don't care about spam either, we all get spam anyway, and that's why we have RBLs in our mail server and the MS Outlook junk folder. Moreover, if I was a spammer, I would also search for mailto: patterns like agrobinet+at+bestplace+dot+biz, so I think I'd get mangled email addresses anyway.

    I am adding support for non-English characters (I think I
mentioned it this morning or last night).  Something I had forgotten
about until you and Zoltan Nemeth brought it up.  I'm unintentionally
closed-minded about that stuff sometimes, having the name Dan Brown.

> 3 - I don't like the attitude of both Dan and David. IMHO, David thinks the issue is more severe than it is, and Dan just won't recognize that mangling email addresses is kind of a (arguably also) "standard practice". No public apologize is needed, but maybe "Yeah, I just didn't consider that" would be enough.

    Actually, I did say that.  It was a rather embarrassing oversight
on my part, and I updated the scripts as soon as it was pointed out to
me (by Richard Lynch, if memory serves correctly).  To be honest, it
wouldn't make any difference really, because the moment we click the
"send" button to this - or nearly any other active list - we are
likely having our addresses broadcast to SPAM catch-all addresses
piping our email addresses into a database, as well as listing them
(plain-text) in the archives.  Still, it is standard practice, and I
had forgotten to make it so in the script.

--
</Dan>

Daniel P. Brown
Senior Unix Geek and #1 Rated "Year's Coolest Guy" By Self Since
Nineteen-Seventy-[mumble].