Re: Re: Posting Summary for Week Ending 18 January, 2008: php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Jan 19, 2008 12:30 PM, David Powers <david@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Daniel Brown wrote:
> >     My pleasure, David.... but before you start sounding *completely*
> > victimized and pointing the finger, you may want to think about the
> > fact that your email address is already plain text on some of the
> > archive sites --- including MARC.  Just go to Google and type in your
> > address.... five results with plain text email address posting (and
> > much more when you visit each link).
>
> Yes, and it's obvious how that happens. It's because people, including
> yourself, don't have the courtesy to set up your email or newreader
> program to remove the sender's address from replies.

    By removing the email address, it completely defeats the purpose
of post tracking.  That bit may have escaped you from the layout of
the report.

> >     However, if it's that big of a deal to you or anyone else, let me
> > know and I'll have the script omit your address from the report.  I'm
> > still going to track the information, including each email address,
> > but I'll remove the addresses of those who may otherwise have nothing
> > to whine about.
>
> This isn't a whine. The reason the PHP lists require a genuine email
> address for posting is to cut back on spam. I managed to keep this
> address spam-free for many years. Not any longer. Your action has not
> helped.

    Considering this is the second time it's been (properly) sent out,
I highly doubt, David, that I've contributed to your inbox being
bombarded with SPAM.  Get to the point.... do you want your address
omitted?

> If you intend to store the email addresses of people using this mailing
> list, there should be a clear statement of privacy policy on the PHP
> site. If there is one, I couldn't find it.

    That's because it has nothing to do with the PHP site or project.
It's a private project intended to be of interest to those who post
here.  And you're here as well.

--
</Dan>

Daniel P. Brown
Senior Unix Geek and #1 Rated "Year's Coolest Guy" By Self Since
Nineteen-Seventy-[mumble].