Re: Re[2]: PHP vs. ColdFusion

On 6/30/05, Matthew Weier O'Phinney <matthew@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That doesn't address scalability, however. So, let's look at that. I'm
> not sure how CF scales, not having been in a CF shop. However, I know
> what I can do to scale PHP:
>
> * Use code optimizers/bytecode caches (zend, apc, eAccelerator)
> * Build an LVS-HA cluster for a web farm (i.e., increase the number of
>   machines able to serve data and pages)
> * Focus on code optimization (i.e., make my code as efficient as
>   possible)

These also apply to CF. However, the built-in caching offered by CF
(and by that I mean the ability to store something in memory, like the
application scope) can actually be a draw back when going to a
multi-server environment. For example, say you have a query that you
would like to keep in memory for faster access. You can put this in
one of the shared scopes and you are all set. It's very easy, but when
you add another server, you now have that query duplicated on both
servers. Suppose you have many queries, or other objects that you
would like to keep in memory. Using this technique, they are all
duplicated on all of the servers. I don't think that is a very
efficient use of resources. Of course it doesn't have to be done that
way.

- Brad