Re[2]: PHP vs. ColdFusion

Hello Andrew,

AS> Coldfusion is also free (Blue Dragon) and has just as much support
AS> as PHP, although. PHP can not run in a J2EE environment, limiting
AS> it to small scall websites and limiting the prospect of expansion
AS> or server migration.

You like to tout CF as being J2EE/Enterprise ready. For this the free
version of Blue Dragon is NOT suitable, by the developers own
admission. You need the $6000 Enterprise version of CF (and you can
add on a few more thousand $ for extended support). This is before
you've bought any of the extra components you need to finish your
application.

1) Blue Dragon is also not just a "free" version of CF it would
appear, even on the developers web site they describe the free version
as "Functionality is robust and useful for most basic CFML
applications." - it's the words "most basic" that concern me here.

2) It doesn't support the newer CF 7 features.

3) The free version does not deploy into J2EE at all.

4) It only runs on Windows, OS X or Linux (sorry, but lots of very big
hosting companies prefer the stability of FreeBSD, Solaris, etc). If
you want Solaris support it costs $2499 per CPU. If you want FreeBSD
support, you're stuffed.

5) It only supports ODBC database connections (via JDBC), so unlike
PHP you won't be connecting to Oracle, MS SQL, SQLite, etc. MySQL is
supported, but not built-in.

If you want to do CF seriously, you need to invest thousands and
that's before you've paid your programmers - this is the bottom
line.

Perhaps that is why even the Blue Dragon developers themselves claim
its biggest advantage is: "You've invested heavily in CFML.. so have
we. Protect your investments." - and how do you protect them? by
deploying Blue Dragon so you can then interface directly with .NET
applications rather than migrate totally to them.

This doesn't strike me as being the approach of a growing, competitive
well supported language. It sounds more like "shit, people have woken
up to the massive cost of using CF, how can we slow the drop-out
rate?" if that is Blue Dragons primary selling angle, it says a *lot*
about the state of serious CF development.

When it comes to investing it think long-term. Zend are
aggressively attacking the enterprise market and we will see more and
more movement in this direction, to the point where I am quite sure
their objective is to make PHP itself enterprise capable *regardless*
of J2EE. With the rate things change around here, we won't have to
wait too long. If you don't actually need to build an enterprise scale
site (and let's face it, that covers most of us) then you're good to
go with PHP *right now* without actually spending a dime. Take that
$6000 CF budget, invest it into training for your entire team and
build your own framework, with the knowledge that no matter what
happens, your work is safe.

Anyway, time to get back to my project for BMW - just one of those
"small scall websites" (sic) things I guess?

Best regards,

Richard Davey
--
 http://www.launchcode.co.uk - PHP Development Services
 "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." - Isaac Asimov