Re: Re[2]: PHP vs. ColdFusion

* "Andrew Scott" <andrews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> CF is very rapid development, and you might say the same about PHP.
> The point is that these are all the things you need to take into
> consideration, the cost that it would take to develop and maintain in
> either language, as well as cost involved in the need of the
> application having to be a true enterprise solution.
>
> I am not here to bag php, I am here to make some points about the cost
> of the application in the overall scenario. Would you develop in a
> language that you know could not deliver an enterprise solution if in
> 6 months that's what you really need, and how would you look if you
> recommended a language because it was free, but in time had to spend
> more again to make it fully scalable to an enterprise level if it
> needed it.

You've insinuated several times that PHP is not 'scalable to an
enterprise level'. Could you perhaps explain what you mean by this?

One informal definition for 'enterprise framework' I've read recently is
"an enterprise framework allows the end-user to drop in only the
business logic to make it work; they do not need to add anymore
programming to the framework"
(http://benramsey.com/2005/05/09/what-is-an-enterprise-framework/)

Now, I've seen a number of PHP frameworks where this is the case; you
drop in a config file of some sort, point your application to it, and
voila! Solution delivered!

That doesn't address scalability, however. So, let's look at that. I'm
not sure how CF scales, not having been in a CF shop. However, I know
what I can do to scale PHP:

* Use code optimizers/bytecode caches (zend, apc, eAccelerator)
* Build an LVS-HA cluster for a web farm (i.e., increase the number of
  machines able to serve data and pages)
* Focus on code optimization (i.e., make my code as efficient as
  possible)

(As an aside, the beauty of a cluster is that you can add or subtract
machines without the public noticing; the site remains up. Additionally,
since all the director does is pass requests to the nodes, and possibly
relay the responses back to the requestor, you can have machines of just
about any configuration running on the backend -- Linux, FreeBSD,
Windows, etc. -- so long as they speak the HTTP protocol.)

Could you please share why you feel PHP isn't enterprise ready, or why
CF is more enterprise ready? Other than the java integration; others
have pointed out that the Zend platform addresses that issue.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
Zend Certified Engineer