Re: PHP vs. ColdFusion

Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
You've insinuated several times that PHP is not 'scalable to an
enterprise level'. Could you perhaps explain what you mean by this?

Anyone who is trying to argue that ColdFusion is easier to scale than PHP (both can be made to) hasn't had to handle significant traffic.

I have experience trying to scale ColdFusion (this was a job years ago for the USPS), and it's not easy once you pass a certain threshhold. I don't think it was a lack of expertise either - I had some of the top consultants from Allaire trying to solve the problem, including the author of ClusterCATS.

Application servers are nice, but I prefer the minimalistic "shared nothing" approach that PHP takes.

Chris

--
Chris Shiflett
Brain Bulb, The PHP Consultancy