Re: golden age layoffs

On 2013-06-13 14:44, Jan Faul wrote:

> On Jun 13, 2013, at 2:45 PM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>>
>> I'm stating the results as I see them, and as lots of other people see
>> them.
>
> Digital is not a ‘majority rules’ situation. My needs are for 250+ MB files coming out of a Creo. I haven’t shot 35mm film for anything serious since 1975, so I can’t really recall when I last shot small format film.

Sure it is; the digital equipment available is predicated on enough
people wanting to buy it to make it profitable for the manufacturers --
just like with film cameras.

> Digital is a long way from catching up to medium format 100 speed Velveeta or Ektachrome. Wit h film I get practicality, I don’t have to plug into a Sony Vaio to shoot and I never get a corrupted file or a digital wallet which loses all its files. I have a bank vault with negatives in it and I have a Creo which has scanned thousands of images. What’s not to like? I have a workflow which works for me and the prints I am currently making are 54x182”. Can your Nikon D anything do that?

Ctein has quite happily given up his Pentax 6x7 shooting color negatives
(for dye transfer printing) and moved to digital -- in fact he's
shooting Micro Four Thirds these days.  And in his opinion provides
wider printable exposure range than any negative film did.

And Jaques Lowe's Kennedy negatives were mostly lost even though they
were stored in a bank vault.  If my house burns, I'll lose my film
photos (except the ones I've scanned), but not my digital photos (which
exist off-site).  The ability to make perfect copies lets you use
replication strategies to survive disasters that it's pretty much
unfeasible to even try to get film photos to survive in film form.  For
that matter I've lost more photos to lab processing mistakes than I ever
have to digital causes.

Which is not for a moment to suggest that you shouldn't use the tools
and techniques that work for you.  And if I were trying to produce the
same results I might come to the same conclusions.  Really large prints
are NOT what I do.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info