golden age layoffs

someone I knew once referred to the current digital era as the golden age of photography ..

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/06/06/fired-sun-times-photographers-protest-outside-newspaper/

I know our major state newspaper is also planning on laying off staff and I understand the photographers are likely to go. Why not when the accountants figure you can just arm every journalist with a smart phone ? I said this years back on PF, phones were going to kick the stuffing out of conventional cameras.

Here in West Oz, the major players in the pro photo game bailed out long ago, their studios, once purpose built to photograph Haulpaks, service the mining industry and record modern technological marvels were seeing less and less work even during boomtimes until they found themselves attempting to compete with ever cheapening competitors prices and called it a day. The fashion shoots went to the more populous East, distributors pull stock photos from manufacturers websites.. sure there is plenty of work for weddings and events but the dollars changing hands are woeful.. and I have made a hobby of colelcting some of the less than spectacular results.

This someone had not experienced the 80's boom, where even a hack, tabletop catalogue shooter could make the average weekly wage in a day ,so he had no real frame of reference and was happy with the idea of collecting 1/2 a days wage to produce an rather nice image that adorned billboards and contributed to selling land in a multimillion dollar development.

Asked recently to do a shoot, I was offered slightly more than a cleaner gets, and only for the time spent shooting - they really wanted me to do the shoot, they sought me out.. but they still wanted a cheap job and ended up going elsewhere for less then impressive pictures.

I don't lecture any more, I don't shoot professionally any more - none of this really affects me these days, but I do feel for some of the last remaining staff photographers who are deemed redundant in this golden age of photography