Re: Anything but [my bucket list]

This is a great thread. I'm sure there's far more things I would not want to shoot that I can put my mind to at the moment, but presently on my list would be:

1) War: I'm large, slow, and an easy target. I'd die trying to get the composition right. Much the reason I don't connect with street photography. Although, I do like shooting inanimate objects. So, war from a documenting perspective of aftermath could be of interest. But the whole bombs and bullets thing if off-putting, as well the people I would have to deal with. Bigots and bureaucrats really chap my hide.

2) Weddings: While I'm not put-off by the idea, I've seen too many forum threads and articles about horrific people suing or trying to rip off photogs. Being quite inexperienced in this regard, I think there's a lot of fun to be had given a certain level of license and range of environment. I really liked Emily's photojournalism take on weddings.

3) School and corporate portraits: Anything that doesn't look like a lie is a scheduled retake.

4) Crime scenes: ONLY because I cannot stomach the smell of rotting flesh...I would definitely contaminate a ripe crime scene. But everything else about the idea piques a rather morbid curiosity.

5) Rock/Mountain Climbing and similar "extreme" sports: First, I like living. Second, so many of these are celebratory of some rich d-bag with only passing recognition of the photog doing exactly the same thing with even more gear.

Things I would like:

1) I always think about going pro, but lack the practical experience/training. I find the idea of a studio for me to tinker with rather enigmatic. I'm currently doing family portraits for friends to get some practice with lights on a larger scale than table-top work. I don't know, I'm of the opinion that if I rule out people and weddings from the start, it would be very difficult for me to grow a business.

2) I'd like to do travel photography. I do a lot of it already, and I like to think I can write copy as well. I'd also like to be independently wealthy too.

3) I want to do more concert photography. I love show lighting, it generally fits my geometry. Saw Van Halen and Roger Waters last summer...walked away with a couple good shots from the Halen show...didn't have the right gear and sobriety to deal with it at the Waters concert.

4) I really want to develop this macro kick I've been on the last couple of years. Even go micro...Andy, does RIT have any online courses with gear to rent?

5) I want to shoot UV. Outside of macro, IR is getting a little yawnish for me.

6) I bought a Raspberry Pi and want to start programming triggers for weird shit.

7) I want to successfully print tricolor gums and kalitypes.