Re: OSX in a non-apple?

: David Dyer-Bennet
Since they have the market share, they're the target.  Linux is much more
secure, but is heavily targeted because servers are good things to break
into.

Nobody much uses Macs, so they're not worth targeting.   (I remember back
in the pre-internet days, Mac labs were the places where viruses spread
worst, because of the horrible idea of automatically executing code in
certain files on a floppy when inserted into the drive.  Microsoft
duplicated that stupid idea with "auto-run" for CDs; luckily I can turn it
off in Windows.)

http://news.techworld.com/security/5392/worlds-first-os-x-virus-hits-apple/

they've gained market share, and The Eye has turned slowly toward them..

I share David's experience reagrding lack of viruses. Using Opera as a browser which doesn't use MS core components and libraries to work means zero viruses for me since V6 Opera. One of my clients needed monthly computer restoration due to the dodgy sites she visited regularly - I put her onto Opera and have not been back to her for a single virus in over 3 years - and she still visits these same trojan riddled pages.. sure the viruses and trojans get downloaded, but they can't run - this is the same for apple users too, if you looked through the cache you'd probably find heaps of trojans .. but they simply do not ativate and do wat they're supposed to

Web bugs tracking you is still a threat to any computer though, but that's a different story

there certainly are ways to avoid viruses in a Windows environment.. and as for blue creens? haven't seen one of those in forever - probably over 6 years.

Of course I know clowns who click every free offer, download warez with trojan riddled crack, run Norton AV and Zonealarm (believeing they are saving their PCs) - have their security in tatters from Adobe, Roxio and Sony security flaws and are bogged down with every software installations default setting set to run everything at startup

These people upgrade their windows machines regularly .. from need - they're convinced the machine is 'just too slow these days' and happily go drop more money down then immediately start loading it up with crap again. Often they blame the operating system if and when they find a fault .. and to be honest, these people would be far better of with a Mac