Re: OSX in a non-apple?

Trevor wrote:
I've always thought that the only reason someone would choose to endure
a Mac OS would be the benefits of its hardware, most notably the graphic
display. I simply cannot fathom why anyone with the skills requisite to
perform such an install would choose a Mac OS...that is other than to
show that it's possible and give Steve Jobs the finger.

laughing, but gotta jump in there (not attacking Trevor, just the idea of apples being for graphics)

 - the display is *not* an apple display, it's a LCD made by any number of different manufacturers - in my opinion, a very poor idea by apple and one which seriously undermines their right to call themselves a graphics dedicated machine maker.. you need to *know* what the actual LCD is, and having differing LCD's in the same model, mixed and matched on a whim at the factory means no consistency - you could be buying two Macs from the same batch and end up with two totally different displays

Atop this the video card is a regular gamerz card in all off-the-shelf apples these days - not a 2D dedicated card.  It's made to compromise the system and allows Mac users to play games - once largely the domain of the windows crowd..  they allow very fast 3D rendering but sacrifice colour fidelity and sharpness to achieve this.  There's NO good 3D card on the market which renders 2D anywhere near as good as a decent 2D dedicated card.  Manufacturers will tell you otherwise, but it ain't true.

In my opinion - and I am honestly sad to say this, Mac lost the plot with graphics when they tried to cater to everyone

..and this is where the windows machine component makers picked up the ball and ran with it - you can buy SO much dedicated and superior componentry to build dedicated computers for dedicated tasks

When IBM opened the floodgates to allow the component makers to fabricate bits to a non-proprietary computer system, the non-proprietary computer users benefited massively.  Those buyers who continued to stick with the proprietary computer makers (Compaq / Dell / Apple/others) have been boxed into a corner - either with makers who went out of business, or makers who would only supply a limited set of component options in their computers.

the IBM/PC model is like Lego - you can build it to be whatever you want.

Of course there's a downside to this - support is not always forthcoming from obscure part makers ..  they may not support newer OS's (but proprietary computer makers do this too!)  - the OS's have to be pretty canny and allow all the parts to play inside the box nicely.

This was where Vista came undone - and I loathe to defend that abhorrent OS .. but it wasn't Microsoft's fault that so much didn't play with the OS..  It was simply that the component makers didn't put together drivers for the system - subsequently there was little MS could add to their installation disks to get the stuff talking.  Kinda like why people abandoned Win98 for XP - WinXP had all the shiny new drivers already loaded, courtesy of the parts makers, so plugging anything into an XP box would allow the OS to install and use it with little fuss - none of the searching for drivers for the latest widget to try to make 98 talk to it..  Vista fell back to behaving like 98 did ("sorry, can't install it, don't know what it is..  go away")

The Apple OS is kinda friendly, I'll grant you that - but I find it inherently annoying because I can't pull it apart and make it do the obscure things I want it to do the way I can with Windows. The Windows OS's are inherently annoying because they're largely open to malicious attacks .. the many other operating systems I like annoy me because I can't use the applications I want on them

And ultimately that's what we're doing on computers - using applications

Since I'm rambling off into computer blather again, here's something I'd like to share about the modern world of computing (language warning !)
I also have to say how astonishing it is that one of the most reliable and interesting sources of new-to-me information on the web is a comedy site

karl