Re: gallery review(ed)

Lea Murphy wrote:
Russ has a right to take this type of image, no question about it.

And that same freedom of expression grants us the right to discuss it.

That is the beauty of free speech.
Lea, I 100% completely agree. And sometimes I find myself too guarded with my own opinion in response to some images, often to the point that I don't comment because I don't have anything "nice" to say, or else I feel the effort doesn't seek constructive criticism. It is a shame that people get so bent out of shape when displeasure is expressed. It's almost as if we're not allowed to have feelings other than what the "artist" seeks or what their political leanings might be. So, here goes:

Lea Murphy - Big Daddy Hosta I find myself pleasantly surprised with the quality of the image. I just wish it weren't so blue. If it had a warmer hue with a little more orange to it, I might find the "retro" filter a little easier to swallow. Classic comp and the depth of field is perfect for this shot as I feel it drawing me in. The lumpy texture is very nice too. Laurenz Bobke - Spring leaves Perfectly exposed. Yummy texture - look at white dots at the crooks in the leaf! I like that the lens flares fill in an otherwise empty space with enough white noise so that the comp stays balanced. Great shot.
           Don Roberts - Uxmal
As someone who lives for taking pictures of ruins, I can't help but think I would have taken more time to get this shot just right. I would have taken advantage of those clouds and gotten a much closer vantage to make the scale of the pyramid more dramatic. But then, you might lose the gallery and trees which seem to be important to the image...although very distracting in the upper left. John Palcewski - Subway Probably one of the reasons I'm hesitant with street photography. This guy looks pissed off. I can't help but feel this is an intrusive image...almost like I've been caught as a peeping tom. Great job, I hope you outran him. Russ Baker - Tamara Excellent color and lighting. A practiced model, she's arched her back just right for this type of image. I can see this as one in a series that slowly progresses to stages of undress and positions of extreme discomfort and multiple phalli. Eventually, her mascara will be streaming down her cheeks. I like that her name is Tamara, now it feels like I know her better and that the smile is for me. And the only thing possibly disconnecting the shoot from pedophilia, and me from feeling like a complete pervert, is a subscript disclaimer that the model is 18 years of age or older...but for $19.99/month, you can have this fantasy 24/7. All it takes is a credit card. Wait...no lollipop? Emily Ferguson - Lotta rain I'm normally used to your images showing objects that float. We just had a nasty flood here in Riyadh, so it actually reminds me of something. Otherwise, I have nothing else to say.
           Andrew Davidhazy - Chicago Lights
This reminds me of those camera toss images, but I gather you'd prefer a much more controllable approach to creating such an image. I've been through this tunnel/exodus in O'Hare and have often wished I had a camera out and ready to fire.