Re: PF members exhibit 09-07-08

On Thu, September 11, 2008 22:56, rebphoto wrote:

> However I have never done a review for one simple reason....
>
> I done quite understand whats "Fine Art"...........

I certainly "get" that feeling!

When I've done my reviews, I take a simple, direct approach -- I give my
opinion, and what I'm able to access of the reasons behind it.  I'm not
holding myself out as qualified to teach a class in the aesthetics of
modern photography, but in the context of reviewing gallery posts here, I
don't feel that's the required level of expertise.

And I'm willing to take the risk of people deciding I have Neanderthal
artistic sensibilities (so far, anybody who thinks that has been kind
enough not to mention it explicitly).

When I've submitted pictures for the gallery, I find that kind of response
useful, too.

> There are often photos or painting or sculptures
> or mobiles or what ever that "people" are raving
> over that when I look at them I just don't see the attraction.

I have sometimes, I believe, simply said a work was outside my conceptual
range and I couldn't comment on it.
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info