Re: The death of photo industry - Was Pentax are seeing the light

Bob <w8imo@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

> >Well, I hope being dragged kicking and screaming into digital doesn't
> > ruin it for you.  The digital world has been my career since 1969 --
> > all software
> >development, I've done everything from business software to the web to
> >embedded software to software product development for several big
> >players (Digital Equipment Corporation in the 80s, and now Sun
> >Microsystems).  I still do programming and system management playing
> > for fun, along with software, myself.
> So far it hasn't ruined it for me.  I can't remember when I last used
> my EOS-3 and my wife keeps asking me when I will get the film out of
> the freezer.   It took me a while to get used to using my 20D since I
> was comfortable with film.  But I am becoming comfortabe with digital
> and maybe someday the freezer will stop being part of a "museum
> exhibit".   ;-)

I've got a fair amount of freezer space myself.  I've been thinking of
projects to shoot off at least the 120 film, but have made little
progress so far (there's another pinhole in the bellows :-().

> I started in the system test area of IBM on the System 360/65 in
> 1966 and transferred to the field in 1969.  Spent 25 years in the
> big mainframe arena until circumstances led me into the mid range
> arena, the RISC System/6000.  The last few years I"ve been involved
> with AIX based systems up to and including the p5 series, Sun
> Microsystems, Cisco, Nortel, ATL, etc......  All break/fix hardware
> oriented.

I started programming on an IBM 1620 in 1968, got hired to do work on
an IBM 1401 the next fall; then moved from there into DEC
minicomputers, and then to DEC mainframes, and then to a wide range of
weird stuff (communication boxes including router internals and a GPS
groundstation for for precision approaches), then the web, and now
back into software engineering with Sun.

It's managed to pay for the cameras, anyway :-).
RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>