Re: The death of photo industry - Was Pentax are seeing the light

Jeff Spirer wrote:
At 10:20 AM 5/29/2006, Charles Dias wrote:
The biggest problem is that in this war we, consumers, are the real losers.

I don't agree with this at all. There's been a huge shift in where the control lies, but that doesn't mean it's a loss.

For example, I have a wider choice of paper for printing than was ever available. I can print on watercolor paper, which previously required the fairly unreliable and barely controllable and tedious process of applying liquid light to watercolor paper. And it was a lot more costly too. I can print color in my small home. I couldn't do that before. I can print on Japanese rice paper. And I can print 4x6 photos on-site, which is a huge advantage on the business side. And I can manipulate photos, especially color photos, in ways which were impossible or difficult in the darkroom.

I too live in a small home that was shared with one wife and four children and I had a darkroom in the basement. I had a film drying cabinet and a print dryer. I printed color from negatives and from slides.

It has been quite a while since I printed my photos from film, but weren't there plates that were used to add textures to the paper when it was in the dryer? Printing photos on site can be an advantage but why limit to 4X6? A friend was selling 8X10s to owners of hot rods and classics on site.

Manipulation, IMO, takes us out of the realm of photography and into digital art in some cases. Not necessarily a bad thing, just a different thing. At a camera club meeting we had a photo editor from the local newspaper as a speaker. During the Q&A session this was brought up. She told us of a photo of a military pilot taken at the annual air show by one of her PJs. His refection was in the pilot's visor. He said he could remove it with Photoshop. She explained that she wanted a photo not a digital image. He went back and reshot the story. Would anyone that read the article know, or care? Probably not, but she was the boss. The only really big advantage to digital photography, IMO, is you don't get into arguments going through security checkpoints at the airport. I have a roll of Kodak 3200 B&W film that has never been exposed but often used.
Bob

--

                          /////
                         ( O O )