Re: The death of photo industry - Was Pentax are seeing the light

At 12:28 PM 5/29/2006, Bob wrote:
Printing photos on site can be an advantage but why limit to 4X6? A friend was selling 8X10s to owners of hot rods and classics on site.

I do 4x6 because the printer is the size of a lunchbox and has a handle and I take two of them. I have seen people with a larger printer, but it's a lot different in terms of space and supplies.

Manipulation, IMO, takes us out of the realm of photography and into digital art in some cases.

When someone can show me the line, I'll believe this. So far, nobody has shown me the line. Most of my manipulated work is considered "straight" by the people that see it because the manipulation is done in a way as to not be obvious, even in composites. So where is the line drawn if the print doesn't give any clues? And how is digital compositing different than darkroom compositing, which has been going on for over 100 years. There is a print in the Getty Museum from the late 1800s that is a composite of five different negatives, done because there was no way to capture the scene in one exposure. Nobody ever complained about that one, so I don't get it.

Jeff Spirer
Photos: http://www.spirer.com
One People: http://www.onepeople.com/