Re: The death of photo industry - Was Pentax are seeing the light

At 10:20 AM 5/29/2006, Charles Dias wrote:
The biggest problem is that in this war we, consumers, are the real losers.

I don't agree with this at all. There's been a huge shift in where the control lies, but that doesn't mean it's a loss.

For example, I have a wider choice of paper for printing than was ever available. I can print on watercolor paper, which previously required the fairly unreliable and barely controllable and tedious process of applying liquid light to watercolor paper. And it was a lot more costly too. I can print color in my small home. I couldn't do that before. I can print on Japanese rice paper. And I can print 4x6 photos on-site, which is a huge advantage on the business side. And I can manipulate photos, especially color photos, in ways which were impossible or difficult in the darkroom.

That Kodak and Fuji let Epson and Adobe and a bunch of smaller companies take away their market is Kodak's and Fuji's problem, not mine.

Jeff Spirer
Photos: http://www.spirer.com
One People: http://www.onepeople.com/