Re: The death of photo industry - Was Pentax are seeing the light

Jeff Spirer writes:

: At 10:20 AM 5/29/2006, Charles Dias wrote:
: >The biggest problem is that in this war we, consumers, are the real
losers.

: I don't agree with this at all.  There's been a huge shift in where
: the control lies, but that doesn't mean it's a loss.
:
: For example, I have a wider choice of paper for printing than was
: ever available.  I can print on watercolor paper, which previously
: required the fairly unreliable and barely controllable and tedious
: process of applying liquid light to watercolor paper.  And it was a
: lot more costly too.  I can print color in my small home.  I couldn't
: do that before.  I can print on Japanese rice paper.  And I can print
: 4x6 photos on-site, which is a huge advantage on the business
: side.  And I can manipulate photos, especially color photos, in ways
: which were impossible or difficult in the darkroom.
:
: That Kodak and Fuji let Epson and Adobe and a bunch of smaller
: companies take away their market is Kodak's and Fuji's problem, not mine.

Competition and choice.

Film, paper and chemical makers produce(d) a broad variety of materials,
often comparably priced, which allowed photographers a wide selection of
goodies to play with.  This competition was pretty balanced and didn't seem
to strive particularly hard for sole market dominance.

I don't think dominance was actually possible although Kodak's method of
buying and killing companies was certainly an attempt to do so, the
producers who avoided this seemed to do a pretty decent job of keeping
themselves afloat.

In the time of film we saw a plethora of films, camera types (TLR,
rangefinders, SLR's, P&S, finderless, framefinder) - we saw convenient
formats (110,35mm & others) medium formats (645-617), large format 4x5 to
banquets and beyond .  There was something for everyone and as long as the
film and papers kept rolling out we had a lot of choices available.

We had system cameras, interchangeable prisms, bulk backs, motor drives,
silent RF's .. all manner of toys to draw our attention, and they provided
a high degree of versatility and a camera for every occasion.

Market dominance erodes this - the leader at the end of the day may decide
that removable prisms models will not have a huge customer uptake and drop
them (are there any digitals with removable prisms?) - The old model of
camera manufacturing meant a model could be kept in supply for a LONG time,
so having a small but steady market was probably viable.  Not so when
models must be continually renewed to keep the churn going.

Manual cameras will/have disappeared.  specialty cameras are a luxury few
if any can afford - where is the 48Mp b&w camera?  why can't we have
something like that - it's not 'special' in any way.. removing the Bayer
array and modifying the software/firmware should be easy enough..

When the head goes on my 2 year old printer, why can't I buy another?  Why
is my product warranty voided when I use someone else's inks?  Am I not
permitted to experiment creatively?  What happens when the manufacturer of
my current printer decides to cease making cartridges to force me into
buying a new model - practices like that were once illegal here..

What happens when they lose the race altogether and the dominant producer
feels the masses will be satisfied with convenience over versatility and
decides a happy balance is achieved at 4Mp.. and that only in phones?

I may have to use bought proprietary software to get the images off my
phone, many do, and what of the DRM stuff built into all the SD cards -
I've lost control over what I can and cannot access when THOSE cards are
used.

Fortunately even my oldest film camera is still capable of making images
without restrictions.. and I can take the processed film without any
interpreter or additional hardware and see what it is at a glance.  I can
whack together an optical system to make a nice print from it that requires
no input from any other party (as long as I can get paper).

I guess I'm disappointed that the camera makers threw themselves into the
digital arena so quickly, getting into bed with a larger, more fierce enemy
without looking hard at the risks.  Maybe they saw easy money - outsource
the bulk of the work (electronics) and rake in the profits and it blinded
them.

They *could* have fought to keep their products viable, could have worked
with the film companies, but then they weren't film makers so they figured
those guys could fight it out alone.  Of course it was the profits from
film cameras which supported the initial plunge into digital.. but that
money has probably long since gone.

They could even have done what everyone asked for and modified existing
designs, produced digital backs for existing models.. giving people the
choice between film and digital - but they got greedy and wanted it all

now they'll probably end up with nothing

I really don't know, I'm just bewildered and fearful of where this will all
end up.  I fear Nokia will be the final winner

(I hate pressing 'ignore' on the spellchecker when DRM is highlighted!)