Re: PF exhibits on 11 FEB 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Dyer-Bennet" <

: "unjpegging" is what I'd call the process of decoding the file into a
: bitmap in memory (I write software for a living).  And in fact "djpeg"
: (read de-jpeg) is one of the software utilities available to convert a
: jpeg file to various other formats (pnm openbitmap mostly).

you're right in this regard (you know that :) to load the image into ram
it's rendered as a bitmap, just as a zipped file cannot run the contained
program until it is 'decompressed' (or unzipped)

this is why often windows folks with full caches find the option to save
jpegs disappears and they can find themselves only being offered the option
of saving bitmaps.

I also note that it seems once decompressed, many jpegs occupy more ram
than the bitmaps of tifs they originated from - why is that?

however, what a program or file does in RAM is rarely noticed or considered
and I think in the context in which this was raised suggests the same
applied - that one particular image was noted as being 2+Mb while the
others were not.

..comparing an image size in RAM to an image on disk ?

Although in some scientific contexts the extra zeros indicate greater
precision; $5 would mean between $4.50 and $5.50, $5.00 would mean
between $4.995 and $5.005.  Roughly, I'm ignoring the boundary
issues.

that's a rather large error factor and I'm sure my chemistry lecturers
would have tossed any such work using them in the bin ;-)

and were I to use the same ones in an economic sense I'd probably be tossed
in gaol (!!)

(from Oz)