Re: PF exhibits on 11 FEB 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Emily L. Ferguson"

: C'mon, Jeff.  it's not getting transformed.  it's getting un-jpegged,
: which reveals its true size.

Emily (no attack, be assured of that), there is no such thing as
unjpegging, what you are doing is converting the image to a different file
*type* and adding data by changing the bitdepth - mind you this data is
just extra numbers and not actual picture information.

a bit like we write $5 shorthand when we might instead write $5.000000 -
there's no further information, and certainly no more money.. but it tends
to bloat a written page quickly if we do this hundreds of numbers :-)

another example.  Take a gif with a bit depth of 2 colours - black and
white, but make it just white then save it as a TIF

I just made a white 2 bit image - 842 x 1191  Pixels it's:
1.69Kb as a GIF
As a jpeg (uncompressed, 100% quality) it's 6.33Kb

interestingly at it's LOWEST quality jpeg setting it's still 6.33Kb ( I
guess the jpeg compression format is clever enough to know what white is
white and at 100% quality it needs little information ;-)

as a bitmap or a tif it's 125kb

there's no more information stored, just an inefficient file storage type
(for this image) and a much greater bit depth is being recorded

: The file is 2.2M when uncompressed.

actually, when it's  converted to a high bit depth file type it's 2.2M.  If
we tomorrow had a 64 bit image storage format we could also save it in this
format and subsequent bit depth and the image would blow out to 32Mb - we'd
still have no more actual picture information, nor would we see any more
colours, but we WOULD be recording the image in a larger bit depth.

most of
: us are opening it in software which uncompresses it and reveals how
: many pixels it has and at what density.

yes we are - I certainly would not open an image in a program that
automatically drops bit depth.. but then neither would I use a program that
adds bit depth! ;)

: I'll bet everyone is getting the exact same statistics I'm getting
: when they do what I've been doing.

not quite..