Re: PF exhibits on 11 FEB 2006

karl shah-jenner <shahjen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> [...]

"unjpegging" is what I'd call the process of decoding the file into a
bitmap in memory (I write software for a living).  And in fact "djpeg"
(read de-jpeg) is one of the software utilities available to convert a
jpeg file to various other formats (pnm openbitmap mostly).

> a bit like we write $5 shorthand when we might instead write $5.000000 -
> there's no further information, and certainly no more money.. but it tends
> to bloat a written page quickly if we do this hundreds of numbers :-)

Although in some scientific contexts the extra zeros indicate greater
precision; $5 would mean between $4.50 and $5.50, $5.00 would mean
between $4.995 and $5.005.  Roughly, I'm ignoring the boundary
issues.