Re: PF exhibits on 11 FEB 2006

At 7:33 AM -0800 2/13/06, Jeff Spirer wrote:
At 12:02 AM 2/13/2006, Qkano wrote:
<I don't know how you get 2.2 MB from a 56 KB image.
Right-click properties tells me (cpuld be a lie of course) it's 57032 bytes
I suspect it's Emily that's getting it wrong.

Exactly. It's obvious that the file is 56K. Somehow, when Emily takes it into Photoshop (which is totally unnecessary, as Q points out), it is getting transformed.

C'mon, Jeff. it's not getting transformed. it's getting un-jpegged, which reveals its true size.

It may be 56K on site, but my web page images are 13K onsite. when you open them in PS they're 2.xx x 3.xx by 72 or 96 dpi which makes them bigger than 13K when uncompressed.

The file is 2.2M when uncompressed. It's 15" wide by 10" high by 72dpi when uncompressed. That multiplies out to exactly what we've all gotten when opening the image outside of the web page. most of us are opening it in software which uncompresses it and reveals how many pixels it has and at what density.

I'll bet everyone is getting the exact same statistics I'm getting when they do what I've been doing.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx 508-563-6822 New England landscapes, wooden boats and races, press photography http://www.vsu.cape.com/~elf/