OT: Mac users - GIS software question

It is not so much Off Topic, because GIS programs usually read aerial photographs as the lowest bottom of the multilayer system.

What I want to know is if any of You, Mac users, have recently worked with any kind of GIS software. What are the today's MAC options for non-corporate GIS work (I mean small and medium spatial systems; recording data and compiling maps).
ArcInfo? MapInfo? Intergraph?
The wise guys from the mapping companies deny every knowledge of MacOS whatsoever and they tell me NOT to buy any of those weird and obsolete machines, as "these even do not support GPS". The Mac reseller company is too small and general to know anything about GIS at all :(
I need desperately any second opinion!!!

When I used Mac computers last time (in the middle of 90-ies), they had 24 MB of RAM memory and 66 MHz frequency and no serious GIS program wouldn't have worked, only some self-made raster systems from various institutes. And I think it ran on OS 7.6

TIA

Peeter