Re: digital obsolescence?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peeter Vissak" : digital obsolescence?

: But what about sharpness and noise?
: I was looking at the comparisons between the new Sony DSC R-1 and Canon
(I
: think EOS 20D) and the examples they were presenting at dpreview.com were
: showing much cleaner image of Canon comparing to Sony even on lower ISO
: values, not to speak of 800 or higher.

Haven't had my hands around an R1 yet, the Nikon d100 and d70 were far
short of the Sony 717 on both counts though, my opinion and that of the
many students for chose to forgo the Nikons, preferring to borrow my humble
717 instead.  The Canon 20D certainly wasn't on the shelves then :-)

Though, colour is a BIG issue.  I think if the Sony *were* noisier than the
Nikons spoken of above, I'd still prefer it for it's better colour
rendition - especially skin.

: I was a little bit disappointed, because I was just guessing that the R-1
: would suit my everyday needs as a complementary to my 6x6 film cameras.
: Quite large sensor, 24 mm equivalent wide-angle, quite OK pixel size,
macro
: shooting options could be better of course, but there are always +
lenses,
: presumably Zeiss glass (manufactured in Kyocera or where?).

Yashica/Kyocera may be manufacturing them (don't know) but it's certainly
under strict licensing and QC - as an aside Y/K were hardly slouches when
it came to lenses in the past.

: But honestly I do not see the idea of paying the same money for less
quality
: Have to wait until the price of that 39 MPix Phase1 will drop remarkably
:)

Thats an entirely reasonable argument.

My choice was based on what was available at the time the 717 was around
and at the time IMO, it was the best going.