Re: file share vs tape as gift

At 2:34 PM -0500 10/18/05, Shyrell Melara wrote:
The statement below is pretty much where my question came from. I was using file share till that site shut down. Most of the music I got I'd bought a long time ago. The vinyl is gone now and the music is so old that unless Time-Life comes out with a box set, you can't find it anymore.

You might be surprised about that. A search on Amazon might reveal some wonderful stuff.

However, there is always the opportunity to record onto CD from your tape or LP collection right on your own computer!

As for what File Sharing was set up for - the kid who created Napster basically just made public what people have been doing for quite a while, and that was the problem. The music and visual media companies who have rip-off contracts with all the performers and creators would have liked to stop taping too, and in fact spent lots of money trying to prevent that. For many years pop musicians have had to give live concerts in order to see income from their efforts because they don't receive it from the record companies. Their recordings drive audiences to their gigs and that's where they make what money they get.

For visual artists, you should check out the contracts. Recently there was a post on the National Press Photographers list about the job listings on journalismjobs.com. Entry level salaries are around $25K and when you go to work for one of those companies you give up your copyright to everything you ever do on company time. And some companies try to get what you do off company time as well even with your own equipment.

The official poverty level for a family of 4 is $27,000/year.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx 508-563-6822 New England landscapes, wooden boats and races, press photography http://www.vsu.cape.com/~elf/