Re: darkroom chemicals

From: "Pablo Coronel" Subject: Re: darkroom chemicals

: I have in my notes that a fixing bath is required after iodine bleach, to
: remove the stain and stabilize the image.

thats right, any bleaching requires fixing (and washing) afterwards, but
iodine *really* needs a wash before the fix, otherwise the fix can
partially break down and sulphide the highlights leading to a yellowing.
Sometimes if the fix is absolutely fresh this won't happen and the
yellowing seen is just residual iodine which will wash out after fixing but
I've found it better to be safe than sorry.

One trick I taught a few art students was to use an indelible pen to sketch
over intricate images made on RC paper then bleach away all the silver then
fix, leaving behind only their sketched masterpieces - they loved it!

Only seemed to impress new students though ;-)

karl