Thoughts about the PF exhibits for 14-AUG-04

Forum Members,

It has been a while since I have been able to find time to look even
semi-critically at the weekly submissions to the Photo Forum. But the photos
this week seem to cry for comments. So here are my thoughts about the photos
found at http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html.

Charles Siegel - Developing Fern - August 2004

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/siegel.html

In many ways, this is a VERY nice photograph. I like it. The serenity of the
gentle swirls of the fern accented by the tufts of red tendrils gives this
image a feeling of peace; there is a feeling here that all is well with the
world. This feeling is enhanced by the beautiful bokeh of the lens. The
square crop also lends support  to the feeling tranquility.

Yet there are things that provide an edgy feel to the photo. The spider’s
web on the left side that leads the eye away from the subject and out of the
picture is a bit disconcerting. There is a slight lack of sharpness
(probably from the slow shutter speed) that fails to add to the quietude.
The lack of detail from underexposure of the near side of the fern’s curls
does not add mystery, but rather frustration in the inability to fully
appreciate the beauty of nature.

I haven’t decided if I like the stem cutting through the bottom right corner
or not. It doesn’t seem quite right, but I don’t find that it detracts in
any way. I guess I would have to try a crop with it leaving the picture
either on the right or the bottom to see if either these exits would add to
the tranquility or not. In all probability, this corner exit is the best.

In all, as I noted at the outset, this is a VERY nice photograph.

Rubin F. Diehl - Lilith on Rehearsal

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/diehl.html

Here is another very good image.  There is much to like in this photograph.
I love the pose.  Ms. Diehl expresses much feeling in the positioning of all
four of her limbs. The toes on the right foot as well as the fingers on both
hands add animation to what could have been a static subject. The tilt of
the head combined with the wide-open eyes adds a great deal of interest. The
woman is superb.

Two things throw the image off just a bit, however, at least for me. The
blue piece of cloth behind the knee is distracting. The other two pieces of
blue enhance. This one detracts. But if Diehl had not raised her right knee,
the mage of the woman would have lost a major source of interest. And then
there is the stage lighting. It is too bright on her midriff and although
the falloff of light does create interest for the most part, the light seems
to suddenly end at her right wrist, leaving the ends of her sleeve in an
unflattering darkness that does not match the rest the image.

Despite these imperfections, this is an image I wish I could have taken.

WRGill - Best Friend's

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/gill.html

Very interesting; very fuzzy.

Herschel Mair –

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/mair.html

This is my favorite of the week. This is an absolutely stunning photograph.
At first I was a bit disappointed that there was not a bit more detail in
the insects, but there is probably a bit more clarity in the print than on
my screen. Once I realized this was not shot primarily for Web reproduction,
I can appreciate it on an even greater level.

I am in awe.

I would love to know more about the meaning of the photo and why it was
taken and what it was portraying. This image really stimulates curiosity as
well as providing us with profound beauty.

Peeter Vissak - Waiting for the concert

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/vissak.html

What a beautiful setting for a concert! But Vissak has provided us with only
a taste for what is going on. Where are the islet stages? Where are the
performers?

This image stimulates. I want to see more.

Bob Talbot – OPA

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/talbot.html

There are only bars and colors for as far as the eye can see. Except for a
rope hanging from an unknown structure above.

This is an image of mystery.

Is this Bob’s first view of the world as he awakes after an “interesting”
Saturday night? Is this the depiction of an English nightmare?

Okay, I gotta know: what is “OPA”? You have my curiosity stimulated to the
max.

Marilyn Dalrymple - Desert Surprise

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/dalrymple.html

Dalrymple has demonstrated for us in this image how to take the beauty of a
rainbow and improve it. The composition is wonderful. The colors are
outstanding.

But the question does arise: are these European Joshua tress? Or were these
shot during an excursion to the southwest portion of the US?

Pini Vollach - Dancing with camels

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/vollach.html

I like this shot. The alignment of the heads is interesting. The lines
created by the arms and reins on the camel are interesting. The action, both
seen and implied, is interesting. This is a very good photo and an
outstanding human interest slice of life.

The light in the image fascinates me. It looks like light when the sun is
near the horizon, as it casts a beautiful yellow glow to the scene. This
appears to be especially apparent on the white T-shirt. But where are the
shadows cast by the body, head and legs of the camel and the boy atop the
camel? They must be lost in the shifting desert sands of the midground.

This is indeed a well-done image.

Per Ofverbeck - Wild Carrot

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/ofverbeck.html

This would easily have been my favorite image of the day had not Mair snuck
in the beetle necklace. This is extremely well lit, well composed and well
cropped. The black and white portrayal of nature that has been isolated is
an unusual, but absolutely mind-blowing interpretation the wild carrot. The
drama created by Ofverbeck is this picture is amazing.

One wonders if “Per Ofverbeck” is not the Swedish term for “perfect”?

D.L. Shipman –

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/shipman.html

A bird. A young bird. Black and white with hints of red in the neck and the
background. A red eye.

Eye-catching.

Very good work.

And a VERY good week of images. Thanks to everyone who submitted and to Andy
and his staff for making all of this possible.

peace

rand