Re: New twist at my wedding last week

<<But I have had clients and their family members steal my images with
copy machines and scanners.>>

<<The original wedding cost them $1850 plus two albums approx $2750
total.>>

<<This is the ones that I know about. What are people doing in their
own homes?>>

There are two ways of dealing with an incoming tide: build a huge
concrete barrier or move back up the beach.  King Cnut ("Canute")
found long ago that just wanting it to stop wouldn't help.

Home flatbed scanners that can produce near perfect results from a
print are a fact: they are with us and not due to go away.  The legal
route won't help much simply beacuse any copies made that way won't
have the "C" symbol etc on the back.

Frankly, from my perspective $2750 is pretty good return for a days
work (even allowing for materials).  Surely the way forward (and to
remove stress) is to offer an all-in price which, while falling short
of actually transferring copyright, basically allows them to make
same-size copies for all thier friends.  That is, see all such jobs as
one offs (which in reality pretty much all of them are anyway) and
charge accordingly.   Adding on $500 for the negs?  As a jobbing
photographer (not one covering weddings for the rich and famous) is
there much to lose?

I'm not demeaning your attempts to earn a living: just saying, there
is a  new reality.  How best to continue to earn a living within it.

Bob