Re: New twist at my wedding last week

Hi David,

You are right it does seem mean spirited. I am still burned out on shooting weddings. I don't do them anymore except for very special friends (and yes I always charge). I got tired of stage mothers, loud drunks, kids pouring drinks in my camera bag and the cap, clients or family members stealing the images I created for them.

But I have had clients and their family members steal my images with copy machines and scanners. I even had one couple request an (threaten to sue) entire refund because they did not know that a family friend would shoot the wedding and give it to them as a gift. They wanted a complete refund, since they now had free pictures of the entire event. The case got to small claims court, the judge looked at my work and the other stuff too, and asked them if they saw a difference. They said they loved MY work but no longer needed my images. The judge threw it out promptly.

The normal stuff w/ the family members armed w/ P&S did not cause me much grief. But those w/ little or no training and decent or even pro gear would show up and want to shoot over my shoulder. I used to do at least 30 weddings a year, average.  Ask any wedding shooter that does over 30 weddings a year it happens all the time.

My lab here in San Jose called me last year to inquire about shots I did in 1997. It seems that the couple had gotten divorced and she wants a complete set of copy negs and scans done by the lab. My contact and copyright info was on the back of each print. The original wedding cost them $1850 plus two albums approx $2750 total. That is the upper mid range of weddings in this area.   This has happened at least two or three times a year for the last few years. This is the ones that I know about. What are people doing in their own homes?

One thing I often had requests for was an addendum to allow other photographers to shoot. I made sure that I talked  with the other photographer so that we could both get what we want  but not step on the other. I would grant the couple what they wanted as long as it did not interfear with my ability to shoot or create income, and fulfill my contract.

Wedding photography is done by CONTRACT. It is one of the few types that spells out exactly what the client wants. Even most of my commercial clients are not this specific. If you fail to fulfill the contract, you lose money, lose customers, and get a rep that follows you everywhere. I never had an ad in any paper or phone book but was constantly busy. I still turn down 10-15 weddings a year.

I can't imagine what current wedding photographers are going through with the advent of digicams.

This is a BUSINESS. For some of you the amount you get paid is secondary, I have never understood the need for perfectly talented photographers to pull the starving artist crap. I want all of you to be a smashing success. We have had umpteen discussions regarding business on this list.

I have had images win some awards, lots have been published, and even the cover of a few magazines. I have traveled some and written some as well. It's just that I suffer fools very little anymore. I will bend over backwards and do donuts for a client. But not for free.

Les Baldwin

This seems so...small-minded.  Mean-spirited.  Something like that.

Don't you think your photos can stand out on their own?

(Okay, I do understand wanting people not getting in the way and
disturbing people while doing the formals.  That would interfere with
*your* photos.)