Business stuff was wedding stuff

Hi Bob

As a "second tier" photographer <Tongue firmly planted in cheek> I am
dealing w/ the infringement issues as best I can. I always inform the
client as to my rights, mark the images, register them in bulk and hope
and pray they don't get ripped.

Kodak and several others were trying or going to make a special paper
that the copyright stamp showed up each time it was copied. It worked
for a while but I have not seen it in some time.

I think 99% of my clients are fair and would never intentionally steal
from me. My return customer base has always been my best advertising.
Many of my wedding clients became commercial clients as well. Many move,
or  change jobs in the Silicon Valley and contact me with their new
positions and bring me along for new projects. The cases I spoke about
are frustrating to be sure, but most of my best customers call and ask
in advance about this or that usage, knowing that I will probably grant
their wish, sometimes with token amounts if they are a good paying
customer.

I have in the past done the all inclusive packages for a flat fee. Most
photographers have at one time or another. I will sell the negs for a
premium as well. I have earned as little as 500 (short notice backyard
or living room stuff)and as much as 5K (cathedral three day stuff) for
wedding work. It just depends.

I did a wedding once for free for two special needs clients who I just
adored. She had Spina bifida and he had Downs syndrome, they met at a
hospital. She died within the year. I would do it again. Each of us has
a soft spot. I mention this because this was one of my hardest
assignments. It took loads of time and cost me plenty. But the couple
did not understand that it was free. They sent me 2 or 3 dollars every
month for a year.

I have done other special needs shoots for families as well. Each time
the personal rewards are far greater than any amount of money. The
challenges are tougher, the subjects are more difficult to work with and
it often becomes hard to see when your eyes water. I almost always lose
money on these but a refusal is not in my heart.

Back to the subject, it always seems to me that if someone is attempting
to rip me off they are always able bodied and financially secure. Go
figure.

To the idgit that called me a third tier photographer, put up some of
your images, your album covers, magazine covers, your pro baseball shots
and all of your best images I'd love to see.

Also if your client list does not include Seiko, Intel, Kawasaki,
Northrup Grumman and dozens of other fortune 100 companies...

Oh, and if you haven't started any clubs, judged any images (without
tearing down the photographer), shot in Panama, Honduras, Cancun, LA,
Germany, Gaza and the rest of the world besides your backyard don't
throw stones - they come back boulders.

Les Baldwin

There are two ways of dealing with an incoming tide: build a huge
concrete barrier or move back up the beach.  King Cnut ("Canute")
found long ago that just wanting it to stop wouldn't help.

Home flatbed scanners that can produce near perfect results from a
print are a fact: they are with us and not due to go away.  The legal
route won't help much simply beacuse any copies made that way won't
have the "C" symbol etc on the back.

Frankly, from my perspective $2750 is pretty good return for a days
work (even allowing for materials).  Surely the way forward (and to
remove stress) is to offer an all-in price which, while falling short
of actually transferring copyright, basically allows them to make
same-size copies for all thier friends.  That is, see all such jobs as
one offs (which in reality pretty much all of them are anyway) and
charge accordingly.   Adding on $500 for the negs?  As a jobbing
photographer (not one covering weddings for the rich and famous) is
there much to lose?

I'm not demeaning your attempts to earn a living: just saying, there
is a  new reality.  How best to continue to earn a living within it.

Bob