Re: 10D ISO test online

me@myplace.to wrote/replied to:

>>Ok, it's like this. Going larger than 100 % shows up the noise much
>>better than at 100%.
>
>This must seem to you a logical way to demonstrate digital image quality
>but I do not understand why.

Well, if you look at both images at 100% you can't really see the
noise. If you look at the 200% images you can see some noise. At 300%
the noise is easy to see. What's not to understand?

>If the purpose of this thread was to show off a Canon 10d to best
>advantage, you have failed. I don't know about anyone else but based only
>on what you have shown I wouldn't touch a 10d with a barge pole.

I had no intentions of showing off the 10d to best advantage. It was
simply to show the amount of noise that's normal at ISO 100 and 400.

>Look folks, if anyone wants to really see what the newer DSLR cameras are
>capable of, check out Steves digicam or, in the case of the new Nikon D2H,
>Rob Galbraith's test pages.

Look Dave, I posted this test because I thought some people were
interested in what digital noise looks like, and what to expect at
different ISOs. In no way did I ever represent it as a full test of
the EOS 10d.

>As for smoothing software, a new one has appeared every two months or so
>for the last five years and none, zero, surpass the results of the Adobe
>filter function, soft blur. Try it! Set radius to one, threshold
>ten,quality high, and mode normal. Increase threshold as needed.

And it seems you are a bit behind in smoothing software. You might
want to try out the free Neatimage demo. It's got a zillion more
controls and features than the 'smart' blur function. How can you say
none, zero surpasses this simple filter?

Dave, you've obviously got some kind of axe that needs grinding. Are
you perhaps jealous that you only have a D60, or that my duck photos
are better than yours, or that I have a better lens than you do?

Like I said, this was a simple noise test, and there was no need for
any of what you said. I wasn't going to answer this one either, until
I read several other rude and arrogant emails from you today on this
list. Lighten up!

--
Jim Davis
Nature Photography