Re: 10D ISO test online

> >In a digital file there will always be some "noise".  But trouble
is fine detail and noise are hard for an algorithm to tell apart.  It
seems that automatic noise removal inevitably has to be balanced
against detail blurring.

> Well, that's the beauty of using Neatimage as a plug in in
Photoshop.
> I can apply it to only a masked area, use the history brush, etc.
All
> in an effort to smooth some areas and keep sharpness in others. Plus
> applying to low medium or high types of noise can keep sharpness in
> important areas and you can see the results as you tweak it. It is
an
> impressive program for smoothing but keeping sharp what you want.

Yes, using human intervention.

I'm thinkng of the noise reduction / sharpening algorithms built in to
cameras - before they output in jpeg mode.

In your workflow with the RAW files you get to do a lot more hard work
but at least you get "artistic" control ;o)
Once it's been "fixed" by the camera (automatically) there is no going
back.

> My test pages usually go beyond my usual 'all browser' sizing.
Images
> sure look weird when you go beyond 100 percent, but it really shows
up
> the pixels that are making up the image.

I didn't realise you were showing over 100%.
Are those screenshot-captures of the PS editor window then or did you
scale them some other way?

Bob