Re: 10D ISO test online

Self Service <snapper@st-abbs.fsnet.co.uk> wrote/replied to:

>They do look impressive - and as you say, speed is the essence if you are just putting something up fast.  I love the white box = info you have used for previous demos btw.  Behind the scenes - for HTML purists - there is some very wasteful switching (not as bad as Frontpage but still bad). I mean turning the same font on and off over and over but that's probably not worth worrying about.

I think what you saw was the result of my lazily importing my old
earlier version webpages. Pages from scratch seem much tidier. So it's
tought to blame a program when the user is at fault.

>In a digital file there will always be some "noise".  But trouble is fine detail and noise are hard for an algorithm to tell apart.  It seems that automatic noise removal inevitably has to be balanced against detail blurring.

Well, that's the beauty of using Neatimage as a plug in in Photoshop.
I can apply it to only a masked area, use the history brush, etc. All
in an effort to smooth some areas and keep sharpness in others. Plus
applying to low medium or high types of noise can keep sharpness in
important areas and you can see the results as you tweak it. It is an
impressive program for smoothing but keeping sharp what you want.

>How low (ISO) does the D10 go? [yes, I know google works] .
>How perfect - noise free - does an image become if you go down to say ISO 10?
>If ever you do the trial - or someone points to a site that has - I'd be interested to see it.  BTW:  your pages here are unique in the test images are big enough to see!

My test pages usually go beyond my usual 'all browser' sizing. Images
sure look weird when you go beyond 100 percent, but it really shows up
the pixels that are making up the image.

The surprise to me was just how noisy the 400 ISO actually is. It
makes me think that when I want to make a large print, I'm going to do
some smoothing with Neatimage, perhaps even with ISO 100 images.

Jim Davis
- checkout the Motorcycle Headlight Relay Kit at:
http://jimdavis.oberro.com/html/bike_acc_.html