Re: d100 weddings

jody,

First there were the Canon vs Nikon wars, then there were the PC vs Apple
wars, and now: the JPEG vs TIFF vs RAW wars. We live in such interesting
times.

If you shoot JPEG -- at the highest setting -- your D100 will give you
prints that you will not be able to tell from the TIFF prints. If you shoot
JPEG, manipulate appropriately in Photoshop (or equivalent) and save in TIFF
or PSD, you will still not be able to tell the difference than if you shot
straight TIFF. Some pros shoot RAW (NEF in the Nikons) and feel they can get
a slight advantage to shadow coloration subtlety, but MANY pro wedding
shooters shoot JPEG. You will be in good professional company if you shoot
JPEG at weddings.

The formal wedding portraits, where you shoot in the studio and you want to
capture all the subtle nuances of the shadings in the wedding gown, you
could consider RAW. But location shots, shot with a single flash (or even
with the addition of a slave unit) will not be enhanced by TIFF or RAW.

One other thing to consider. A wedding is a fast-moving event. The D100 does
have a buffer to capture several shots, but the write time to your memory
card may become onerous if you shoot TIFF. Rob, the sports shooter, may be
able to tell you more about this.

If you are not sure if JPEG is good enough, try a test RIGHT NOW. Put your
D100 on a tripod and take a picture using JPEG, then TIFF, and then RAW
(NEF). Take all the files and put them in Photoshop or whatever post-shoot
program you have. "Enlarge" them to about a 16x20 and print out an 8x10 crop
of an area containing subtle shading and detail. If YOU can't see the
difference in the prints (and you won't), the bride won't see the difference
either.

I use the evil Microdrive and have been doing so for about six months with
no problems. I carry as .5 -gig CF card as a backup (hey, I only look
stupid), but I have never had to use it for either replacement for a damaged
Microdrive, nor as additional space. It holds almost 400 JPEG images in the
D60, which has images about the size of the D100.

peace,

rand