Re: Nokia device usage

Andrew Flegg wrote:
> Right, so although your complaints may be valid (I'm not saying
> they're not - honestly, I'd love my tablet to be faster, which is why
> I'm looking forward to an RX-51/71), they're not relevant to any
> discussion about Nokia mis-selling the tablets or promising they can
> do more than they can.

Well, with ITOS 2008 "Diablo"

* Never picks up samba/smb/cifs shares any more - ever. No clear reason
why that I could see.
* Video is jumpy and it barely plays anything back smoothly. Even when
encoded in a codec that the device supports out of the box.
* Flash - just does not work at any speed vaguely acceptable. Flash
video is a complete joke, and if it does play it will drop frames like
mad and the audio often stutters - *even* if you allow the entire video
to download before playback.
* The browser is almost unusable on certain sites. This is probably CSS
related, but it renders Facebook useless, for example.
* The update mechanism is intrusive and can make the device unusable for
the first 2+ minutes after a reboot.

> *That*'s what I was trying to pin down. For all their flaws, I'm not
> aware of Nokia saying you could do something which you actually
> couldn't - unless you were willing to open X Terminal, fiddle with
> configuration files and so on.

Well, Nokia kind of implied it was an "Internet Tablet" and, if we're
honest, it only just barely meets this function these days. It is
painfully slow most of the time.

But, I'm not being drawn in to this argument any more. It's circular.
For every negative point I could come up with, someone will have a
counter point from their perspective or  make accusations of
misconfiguring the device or misunderstanding something. It was a good
little machine for its time, but it is not useful to me any more.