Re: Nokia device usage

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 09:12:49AM -0500, Ognen Duzlevski wrote:
> I am curious to find out what people use their Nokias for. If anyone
> could share their usage patterns, it would be appreciated.

Oh dear, this looks like a large thread, and I don't have the time to
read it all... Do you plan to post a summary?

I use my N810 for

  (1) mostly e-books (wiht FBReader)
  (2) walking/bus music
  (3) offline OpenStreetMap client
  (4) ssh access to check my mail
  (5) sandbox to look around and answer maemo-related questions on #maemo
  (6) car mileage calculator (well, data entry tool -- haven't converted
      my plain text file with data into something more advanced tools
      can process yet)
  (7) shopping list
  (8) Skype
  (9) IRC
  (10) Jabber chat
  (11) GPS
  (12) very very occasional, reluctant, slow and painful web browsing

About your Maemo Mapper issues: I mapped the 'cancel' button (the only
one that's mappable on the front of the N810) to re-center because of
the same touching-screen-accidentally-stops-following issue.  Maemo
Mapper has an option that disables screen blanking.

My primary Maemo Mapper issue is that if you pan and zoom around too
much, it caches too many tiles in memory and starts swapping.  You need
to kill and restart it.  Killing Maemo Mapper means you'll wait at least
30 seconds for the GPS to get a fix again, even though it had a fix one
second ago.  GPS fix times suck anyway, when you're abroad and don't
have Wifi & GPRS dialup for A-GPS.  So I primarily use MM as a map
browser with GPS disabled.

Overall, the current generations of NITs are far from perfect, but they
are the best hacker's devices of their size I've ever seen.

Marius Gedminas
--
This company has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. If
the problem persists, contact your vendor or appeal to a higher court.