Re: Nokia device usage

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 09:12:49AM -0500, Ognen Duzlevski wrote:

> I am curious to find out what people use their Nokias for. If anyone
> could share their usage patterns, it would be appreciated.

I've got an N810 and here are my comments:

   * The web browser is my #1 app, without any doubt. I admit that
     sometimes it's too slow when rendering some pages, but after
     they're loaded they work reasonably well, and the screen
     resolution is great. I haven't used any other portable device
     (I'm not counting netbooks here) which I liked better for web
     browsing. In fact I used to have an iPod Touch and while its
     browser is generally faster I _always_ ended up going back to the
     N810.

   * The IM and Twitter clients (Pidgin, Mauku). I use them a lot.

   * The SSH client. I admit it's not intended for most users, but
     for me it's a must, specially when combined with the hardware
     keyboard.

   * Skype / Google Talk. I don't use them everyday, but they work
     fine and are great to have.

   * I also use Modest a lot to read my IMAP accounts.

   * I almost never use it to carry mp3/videos, mainly because I
     really don't use portable media players much (Last.fm is more
     than enough to cover my needs).

   * Maps. I don't use GPS much either, but I do every now and
     then. It's a nice addition, and Wayfinder and Maemo Mapper are
     enough for what I need.

   * PDF reader / Image viewer / Notes. I don't use them very
     frequently, but they are essential nonetheless.

   * The keyboard is good. It's also one of the main reasons why I
     prefer the N810 over other mobile devices.

   * And last but not least, the ability to have many apps opened at
     the same time and switch between them (I didn't realize how good
     this was until I tried the iPod Touch).

I'd also like to say that I use my N810 at home *a lot*. I like to
browse webs, read e-mail, etc., while I'm lying on the sofa, and I
find it much more handy than my laptop for that.

And that's all, I think.

Berto