Re: App-Manager failure

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 6:37 AM, Eero Tamminen <eero.tamminen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> If you're going to sell a device that requires significant Linux knowledge
>> to use, that should be clearly stated in any sales information.
>
> You're mailing on the "maemo-users" list, which in its
> "sales information":
>
> states that it's:
>        "A list for users of maemo Development Platform."
>
> (It's a bit confusing name.)

As a matter of fact, it's not just confusing, it's inaccurate. As
maemo.org is where all tablet users are pointed to get new apps and
updates for their tablets, it's not just a development environment,
it's the platform. A list that is strictly for developers should be
named "maemo-app-developers", because they use the maemo environment
to develop apps.

Really the fundamental problem is that the consumer-oriented stuff
(apps, updates, wiki) should never have been part of the maemo site.
It should be part of ITT or some other site with a completely
different name. The way it's been done is bizarre and can't possibly
be anything other than confusing.

The maemo site is also much more useful and usable than ITT. But then,
that's further evidence that the devices are aimed at developers even
though they are marketed to consumers...

But that's not what we're talking about anyway. The point was who the
Tablets are marketed to, not the mailing list itself. At this point in
time, no average PDA user is going to have much success with the
Tablets without learning a bunch of Linux and getting their hands
dirty under the hood. That's hardly consumer-friendly.

Mark