Re: Aw: Re: the hell of Maemo repos

A couple comments on this subject.  First, it doesn't do anyone any good to attack the messengers or worker bees regardless of what their involvement with the tablets is.  Stuff happens, stuff gets noticed and brought to attention, stuff gets corrected.  No one is intentionally screwing things up.  Most of this is about how everyone in this community is comes from different perspectives that don't always see things from everyone else's perspective.
Consolidation -- It's fine with endusers like me if repositories are consolidated.  Perhaps it would help if Nokia offered some sort of incentive, like low priced/free units and alpha/beta testing for developers using the Maemo system for their development and repositories.
End-user considerations -- There needs to be a smooth way to redirect updating of outside repositories to the consolidated/changed repositories so end users get their updating done smoothly and without hassles.  This would seem to require inclusion of some sort of cleanup process in App Manager for redirected repositories.  Those out of the 'loop' are likely end up with all sorts of abandoned/screwed up repositories, with negative side effects that don't help anyone.
 If appXXXX is moved from repo YYY to reop ZZZ, app manager needs to be able to sort this out without dragging endusers too deep into the wonderful world of maemo/debian linux hunting down moved repos and apps.  As it is, App Manager seems a rather crude work in progress that displays the crudest information during the updating process -- it doesn't even say what repository catalog is being updated during the update process.
Tim Teulings wrote:> Hallo!>> As one of the people that had shutdown his own repository as response to mentioned request to consolidate I can assure that such request was very polite, I was never forced and every help was promised (which I did not need) and no timeline was given. We never talked about the actual contents of my repository.>> I fact I'm of the opinion that such aproach goes into the direction. >> So please wait until the owner of the now closed repository speaks up to clearify.>> Note that Nokia regarding this aspect is not Apple.>> Please calm down and let the facts speak.>> Gruß...>         Tim> _______________________________________________> maemo-users mailing list> maemo-users@xxxxxxxxx> https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-users>   > ------------------------------------------------------------------------>>> No virus found in this incoming message.> Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com > Version: 8.0.175 / Virus Database: 270.9.9/1803 - Release Date: 11/21/2008 9:37 AM>>