Re: Aw: Re: the hell of Maemo repos

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 2:51 PM, lakestevensdental
<lakestevensdental@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Consolidation -- It's fine with endusers like me if repositories are
> consolidated.  Perhaps it would help if Nokia offered some sort of
> incentive, like low priced/free units and alpha/beta testing for
> developers using the Maemo system for their development and repositories.
>
> End-user considerations -- There needs to be a smooth way to redirect
> updating of outside repositories to the consolidated/changed
> repositories so end users get their updating done smoothly and without
> hassles.  This would seem to require inclusion of some sort of cleanup
> process in App Manager for redirected repositories.  Those out of the
> 'loop' are likely end up with all sorts of abandoned/screwed up
> repositories, with negative side effects that don't help anyone.
>
>  If appXXXX is moved from repo YYY to reop ZZZ, app manager needs to be
> able to sort this out without dragging endusers too deep into the
> wonderful world of maemo/debian linux hunting down moved repos and
> apps.  As it is, App Manager seems a rather crude work in progress that
> displays the crudest information during the updating process -- it
> doesn't even say what repository catalog is being updated during the
> update process.

I also have to point out that the maemo site is always incredibly
slow, which can't possibly help any of these situations. It doesn't
matter whether I'm on my home desktop, my N800 on WiFi, or a school
machine on a very fast network, it always takes forever for pages on
the maemo site to be served, and frequently it times out first. Even
when pages do load, frequently there are elements missing. If the
repositories are similarly affected, that could create havoc with
anyone trying to update them.

Mark