Re: Re: Re: the hell of Maemo repos

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 1:49 PM, Tim Teulings <rael@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello!
>
>> ...Which is clearly a bad idea. The details obviously *should* be
>> worked out and a timeline chosen so that the switchover can happen
>> smoothly. It can be cooperative rather than dictatorial, but that's
>> irrelevant to the end-user.
>
> But Nokia did not force me to immediately shutdown the repository.

Which is irrelevant. What's relevant is that they did *not* tell you
"don't shut down your repository until you *know* the maemo one is
working."

> I would have been able to get my software first into extras and then shutdown my own rep. I fact I  did it this way and the rep owner of that kismet rep could have this, too.

Maybe his experience was different than yours. Maybe something
happened to him before he could complete the process. Regardless,
obviously something didn't work the way it should have, but assuming
that it was his fault is typical of the mindset around here. Oh, no,
it couldn't possibly have been the fault of Nokia or maemo... It's
always everybody else's fault...

It's apparently perfectly acceptable to jump to conclusions as long as
Nokia and maemo are not implicated...

> Why he did it not this way I do not known - but that is not Nokias fault. Please wait on the rep owner to explain (if he likes to). And since I'm that that rep owner is not Quim you can neither blaim him or Nokia.  If this was a fault of someone in this case it was the fault of parts of the community. This is getting me angry. If you want kismet do your port and put it into extras yourself. There was not "includes kismet" on your product package I'm sure of.
>
> Please explain in simple words what you expect of Nokia in this case.
>
> Gruß...
>         Tim

What I expect from Nokia (of which maemo is an extension, like it or
not) is to provide some basic guidelines when asking people to
transfer their stuff to the maemo repositories. Even better, a
step-by-step process guide. Something like:

1) Prepare your package for distribution
2) Upload it to the maemo repository
3) Test the repository to make sure it's working
4) After everything else is in place, replace your personal repository
with a link to the new one

What may seem obvious to one person isn't always obvious to another,
especially if they are distracted by other pressures. It's always
better to give the expert information they can ignore than to *not*
give the newbie the information they need. Even an expert can have an
off day and forget something that is normally routine.

As for the other stuff, for starters, they would more correctly be
called "Web Tablets" or "Web & Email Tablets", not "Internet Tablets",
because the only thing they can do out of the box is surf the Web and
if you're lucky do email. They can't even come close to doing all the
things that are possible on the Internet, even *with* all the
aftermarket apps available. So yeah, calling them "Internet Tablets"
is in and of itself false advertising. It should also state clearly in
large letters on the package that they do *not* and never will have
any kind of PIM functionality OEM. The "Contacts" app is really a very
limited phonebook no better than what your GSM SIM card can store and
not by any stretch of the imagination a true contacts app. It's
irrelevant if it uses the Evolution database, since you can't access
any of that functionality. Heck, they can't even really utilize the
camera out of the box. It's a no-brainer that they should come with a
basic video & still capture app. Even the cheapest camera phones can
do that, and they don't have a fraction of the power or storage.

Speaking of which, even my very basic non-camera-phone's built-in
"Phonebook" app can store full street address and birthday in addition
to four phone numbers for each contact, and has a very functional and
effective calendar to boot. In fact, I rely on my phone for
appointments, since the tablet isn't capable and not always on my
person. Why lug it everywhere to keep it handy when it can't do any of
those things and is much larger? In contrast, I was never without my
Visor before I got the Tablet, and I still go back to it when I need
an address.

That's just for starters.

Mark