Re: Aw: Re: the hell of Maemo repos

Mark wrote:
> I also have to point out that the maemo site is always incredibly
> slow, which can't possibly help any of these situations. It doesn't
> matter whether I'm on my home desktop, my N800 on WiFi, or a school
> machine on a very fast network, it always takes forever for pages on
> the maemo site to be served, and frequently it times out first. Even
> when pages do load, frequently there are elements missing. If the
> repositories are similarly affected, that could create havoc with
> anyone trying to update them.
Ditto on the observation of poor Maemo server speed.

 There's the likely reality that the most common device accessing the
Maemo site is an internet tablet, which has a modestly limited speed of
browsing and downloading compared to the average box.  1000 internet
tablets accessing a site are probably are the equivalent load of perhaps
3000 or more regular machines on reasonably equal internet lines.   It
would be nice if the tablet came with a user installable speed
upgrade...  The ASUS eee and netbooks in general have gone from .6 to
1.6Gs, while internet tablets poke along at .4G.  Fast a couple years
ago, slow now.

  Plus, everyone gets a nice blinking screen icon when there's an repo
update to download, which drives a lot of folks to do downloads around
the same time period, bogging the system down...

  The server stuff would seem to be relatively fixable with mirror sites
and larger server pipes...  If there's the will to upgrade to improve
service.