Re: the hell of Maemo repos

Wow, I'm impressed at how much FUD-spewing sans-facts is going on in
this thread. Bravo.

So, let me set a few things straight:

First, there is ABSOLUTELY no conspiracy involved. Eko1 was not
singled out because it contained a pen-testing tool, in fact, it
wasn't singled out at all. Niels has sent a _lot_ of emails to 3rd-
party repository owners to get them to move their packages to Extras
and close their repositories.[1][2] Eko1 happened to choose to do this
in a slightly more user-hostile way than most by simply closing the
repository and not moving many of the packages to Extras. If you'd
really like me to prove there's no conspiracy, I'll have qwerty12
upload all of his fun little hacker tools to Extras-devel tomorrow.

So, you know who the blame is on for not moving their packages before
they close the repository? The repository owner. Not Nokia, not
anybody from maemo.org that made a request, but the repository owner
who, for whatever reason, decided not to move their packages to Extras.

Clearly transitions like these can cause some short-term instability
that makes things harder for specific individuals, but the overall
effect for the community, and the long-term effect for everybody is an
environment with lots of high-quality, easy-to-install packages
available from right when you take your new device out of the box and
open up the Application Manager (Extras will hopefully come enabled by
default with Maemo 5).[3]

Second, it is exactly BECAUSE of situations like this one (packages
and repositories just disappearing with users being left out in the
cold) that the _Maemo Community_ (note, non of this had anything AT
ALL to do with Nokia) decided that _we_ wanted to make Extras the
centralized repository for community packages and applications.[4] If
packages are in maemo.org, they're more accessible, come with a higher
level of quality assurance, and more likely to remain available in the
long term.

Third, Extras has nothing at all to do with Nokia, it is controlled by
the Maemo Community (i.e., all of you) as a part of maemo.org. Nokia
doesn't have a say in what's allowed into Extras (excepting clearly
illegal or copyright-violating packages--"Nokia's Maemo's Quim's
Package of Pure Evil" would clearly not be an acceptable title--but
there haven't been any of those yet). Ultimate responsibility falls on
the Maemo Community, and, perhaps, the Maemo Community Council, not
Nokia.

I've said my piece, but clearly this thread isn't headed anywhere
useful, so you guys can take it or leave it. I'd prefer to see some
sense and reasonability come back into the discussion, and I'd be
happy to discuss specifics with you if it does, but for until that
point. . . .

Some light reading for those of you that are "just guessing" and
spewing FUD instead of looking at the facts:

[1]https://wiki.maemo.org/Extras
[2]https://wiki.maemo.org/Task:Reducing_number_of_external_repositories
[3]https://wiki.maemo.org/Extras_repository_process_definition
[4]https://wiki.maemo.org/Task:Consolidation_of_Extras